Tuesday, October 14, 2008

he's 17....i'm old...

today marks the day that my oldest nephew turns 17.
I remember the day leading up to his birth like it was yesterday.
My sister was in labor for more than a day.
I played out in the median w/ the neighborhood kids.
I swung Christy around and around by her arm til she let go and went flying.
I, along w/ my family, waited hours at the hospital in uncomfortable chairs, sitting and pacing.
Waiting for the first grandchild...nephew...to arrive.
He was stuck...he wasn't coming out!
And then FINALLY.....he arrived!!!
Baby Derrick was safe in his mommy's arms, all 10 fingers and all 10 toes.
I got to miss school the next day to sleep.
I remember sitting in the rocking chair at the hospital later that day, hair french braided, sweatsuit on, in heaven w/ my adorable nephew in my arms!!
I was 14.
Now, as he turns 17...I am amazed at the young man he has become. As his Mom watches him from heaven, I know that she is proud of him!!! She did a wonderful job raising him in his early years before she was called up to be his angel.
Here's to the next 17 years....as we both get older by the day!!!!

1 comment:

Cornfield Quilter said...

What a great tribute to Derrick and his mom. Miss her and him since he is so busy now that he is older and mobile.
Keep up the good work, the blog is great!