Monday, November 23, 2009

Playing catch - up

Wow, I haven't been over here to blog since May!! I've really been slacking! Heck, I'm not sure if anyone knows I'm still out here :o)

Let's see. . .since May, what has happened??

  • I started at the end of May to train for the 1/2 marathon in San Fran thru Team In Training, raising month for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. I started off strong and accomplished some training and running goals that I never dreamed I would do. . .while fighting a nagging back and some foot numbness. I did some PT for my foot and changed the way I ran in the meantime and cured the numbness but focused the PT on my back. I tried to push through the pain and finish softball and continue training . . . until I could not deal with it any longer. I saw the doctor who tried different things...steroids, anti-inflammatories, more PT, pain medicine and when none of that worked...sent me for an MRI - which revlealed THREE bulging discs and some arthritis (all at age 32!). So, then came the epidural spinal steroid injections - 3 rounds of 2 injections each time. These have been, well, a pain! The day of the injection and the following day are truly hell - horrible "flu-like" aches in my lower half of my body. Then weak legs for a few days and no real relief. My last round of them is tomorrow. Thankfully!!! I just wish I would have gotten more relief as they thought. Because nothing has worked to date, the next step is to see a Neurosurgeon to see about surgery and if that would be of any benefit to me in order to clean up what's going on in there and be able to function normally again. December 17th is THE day! We shall see! Til then, I hope and pray that round 3 of the injections provides some relief and that time goes quickly! Oh, well, needless to say, I could not do the 1/2 marathon in October, however, I raised $2,024 for LLS! I did end up transferring $1,600 to the Capital City 1/2 to be raced on May 1, 2010, in hopes that I am well enough to participate in that 1/2 marathon! I will do it someday.
  • I finished another season of 5 softball teams..one less than last summer. I was able to fully participate during the summer and played the fall season minus the last 2 regular season games and the two playoff games. Sunday summer finished the season in 2nd and the tournament in 1st! We always split those w/ the FU team..two years in a row now! The Wed coed team finished 2nd in the tournament. The fall coed team finished 2nd in the tournament and season. Great people and great games!!!
  • Coming up on the Thanksgiving holiday, I was not sure that I would be able to make the 4 hour drive home having injections a day before I usually make the trip. Because of this, and the fact we usually go out to eat on Turkey Day, my little brain got to thinking....how about I just make my own traditional feast? Great idea. And what was even better is - invite some of my great friends over to join me!! I have met some new friends and gotten closer to even more of my friends over the last several months and we really have a great group that is really close w/ one another these days! So, I sent out a text, got all accept replies and set the ball in motion for our 1st Annual Thanksgiving at my house yesterday....I say 1st annual because it has already been decided that we will continue this tradition! Everyone had a great time...and we are all so very thankful to have one another in our lives! There were 7 of us... each came throughout the day, at different times. It really made for a "family day" for sure! There was cooking in the kitchen, snacking at the snack table, football-watching, feasting, and RockBand! Does it really get any better than that?? I don't think so at all! After dessert, we planned our Winter Holiday gathering and drew names for a little secret gift exchange. We will be celebrating both Christmas and Hanukkah on December 19th, where we will enjoy snackie food, great company, games and gifts! I can't wait! (I will post pictures later, when this actually lets me!)
  • I think that's it for the last few months of the year. I will returning to school in January to finish the last two classes I need to be eligible for the CPA exam! Yikes :) I will do my best to keep this updated . . .

No comments: