Friday, June 11, 2010

another Back Update...

Well, I went back to work after 12w2d off post-op. I had been feeling better and didn't want to wait an additional two weeks for my next follow up with Dr. B. so I called and got what I needed faxed to work so that I could return.

Work was work when I returned...some things never change. However, pain started to increase sitting there for hours and hours. I was questioning the return to work - however, I guess it had to be done.

Therapy continued...I went to my follow up appt at the end of April in which it was determined that because there was still pain, another MRI would be done. They are usually repeated 3-4 months post-op if needed, which was the time frame I was in. May 15th, it was finally scheduled, and I got it done. I asked my referring dr to look at the results because I wasn't sure how long it would be before I heard from the surgeon (I had no followups scheduled-to my knowledge). Dr. D. looked at it and said there was still healing, no more stenosis, scar tissue but overall, there was improvement over my pre-op MRI. I thought, GREAT! So, I called Dr. B's nurse to see if I could get my results. She returned my call and said I had an appt May 27, that Dr. B didn't give results over the phone.....however, I knew nothing of that appt. So, I went in on the 27th and was prepared for good news, to hear just keep doing what I was doing and eventually the pain would stop. Boy, was I wrong!!

I saw her assistant again, which was fine because I always seem to have more time w/ her when I see her. While waiting in the room, I hard Dr. M. outside looking over the MRI results and possibly explaining what she was seeing to someone else. I could tell instantly that there wasn't going to be good news coming my way. She talked about how there were issues in multiple levels...just nothing positive. When she came in, she asked about PT and pain and such. About the only word that sticks in my head from the appt was "fusion/s". Fusions aren't something that I would have ever anticipated and it seems pretty scary! She did some more MRI studying and came back in, saying that they were going to send me to see Dr. R...a spine physiatrist and pain consultant, within the same practice in order to have a discogram done - which is a test that injects dye into the discs one at a time in order to attempt to recreate the pain and determine where the pain is exactly coming from. This would determine the levels of the spine causing the issues (if it's from the discs) and help figure out which levels would be fused together, if that's the route that gives me the best outcome! s.c.a.r.y! So, the consult for the test is scheduled for June 14th then the test will be scheduled, completed, then it's back to Dr. B's to determine what will be the next course of action!

All that being said, it took a few days to process everything and come to terms with it all. Because it was the last thing I expected to hear, it took more time to get a grip on it. Now, I'm just looking forward to getting the test done and find out what's really going on!

This week, I finished up 4 months of PT. I'm sad to be done in a way because I had two amazing therapists...but because progress had stopped and I'm being followed by a few dr's right now, it was just decided that I had had enough and we'll go from there!

Whew, I think that about covers it. I'm tired of the seems to be getting worse as the weeks go on, so just hoping for some answers in the very near future!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow, that stinks! I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this. :(