Monday, June 14, 2010

Derrick - Class of 2010

Where did the time go? I remember vividly the day that Derrick was born. I've watched my first nephew grow up from a adorable little baby to a handsome young man. Wow, what a great individual he has become in the last 18 years!! I'm so proud of all that he has done so far and look forward to all that is in store for him as he starts the next chapter in his life.

At awards night, he racked up some class awards and scholarship money totalling over $32k! How cool!!!!! I watched him get his honors for his academics, as well as athletics. With each accomplishment, I became even more proud (and I didn't think that was possible). After the program, he even posed for pics ;)



Then....came graduation! WOW, I knew it was going to be emotional but I was quite unprepared for how it was going to affect me. WATERWORKS started the second the band started playing Pomp and Circumstance. Derrick was the second graduate in from the left, walking w/ the class Salutatorian. So many emotions flooded me while I watched him head to his seat...and I just couldn't take my eyes off of him. In his short amount of time on this earth, he has been through and experienced so much...the loss of his mom, being adopted by his other mom, becoming a big brother, moving from grade school to high school, from South Newton to North Newton, and keeping his grades up, just to name a few. Such a remarkable young man to go through it all with the kindest of hearts and a smile that can melt anyone!..two traits he most definitely got from his mom!!! This should all bring a smile to my face...and it does, thru the tears! Words just don't do justice to the feelings and emotions inside...so I'll just end w/ pictures!



I'm, without a doubt, the absolute proudest aunt on this earth! Congratulations Derrick and cheers to the next chapter!!

No comments: